Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Bowling Leads to Thinking...sometimes.

Chelsea, Jonathan and I have just returned from bowling with other homeschoolers. At one point it was only families from our group that came to Tuesday Bowling but over time our group has really slacked off and others are coming in. This makes me sad but, at the same time, allows us to meet other local families.
That is really fun!

Today a new mom and son joined us. It was as we were chatting that she told me that she had plans to put her son into public school in a year or so. She stated that she is very nervous about her abilities to get him through the high school years.
I don't know what came over me but I just had to say...
kindly, I hope,

"If it truly is about your fear of teaching him,
please reconsider,
because you didn't get this far
in your own strength".

Oh, my...did I just say that to a near stranger?
She was very gracious.

But, I have to say that it got me thinking.

We have not homeschooled our three children because we have all of that much to offer them when it comes to the academics. I am confident in my ability to teach reading...very weak when it comes to math....History is good, Science is o.k.

We have a son who is very motivated for his future,
we have one who is unsure of his plans.

One who would have gotten into all kinds of trouble
in public school,
and one who really doesn't care what others think and would
have been "fine"... when it came to peer pressure.

We have a daughter who might be more outgoing had she
gone to public school, but at what cost?
Does it matter as long as she is respectful, polite, energetic
and complimented this morning by her physician for her
involvement in many things.

None of this even takes into account the Christian heritage
that we are able to teach our young charges. What a major
change for the future if more and more of our young people
understood this heritage and the gift that it is for all
of us.

If God has called us to homeschool our children He WILL
give us the means to accomplish it. Praying that you will
feel His pleasure in the work and love you are pouring into
your children.

You are not in this alone.
It is not in your strength that your children
are set to succeed or not....and we could go
on for days about the definition of success
.....

Love to all who read this post,
whether you homeschool or are just
curious about those of us who do.

Becky K.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thank you so much for your comments...you responded to me on my blog in much the same manner. I have no intention of putting my two back into public school. They are just way too important to subject them to all that is involved in public schools.
Thank you for your leadership. I am hoping to be able to get my daughters involved in a homeschool group soon. They need Christian friends!!
Hugs, Beth