Saturday, August 15, 2009

Some Favorite Girl Preteen and Teen Reads...


I find my self perusing the web a couple of times a year for books to recommend to our children. I admit that finding books for Chelsea is somewhat easier than the boys.

Therefore, most of the books I will recommend will likely appeal more to girls...but not necessarily.

First, if your daughter has not read the Little House on the Prairie Series, it is an excellent place to start. Chelsea is reading it through for the second time after a few years. She loves it, as did I.

Two books that I enjoyed so much and passed on to Chelsea, who also loved them are by Kate Seredy. They are The Good Master and The Singing Tree. The author is also the illustrator.




She is fabulous! Kate Seredy is a Hungarian born author who draws from this background and knowledge to weave wonderful stories. These are older books so they may be harder to find, but in my opinion, they are worth it.

This year a sweet little book that I have asked Chelsea to read is In Grandma's Attic by Arleta Richardson. She is probably older now than she would need to be to enjoy this book but I just got around to buying it for her as I think it will be a keeper.

Some of Chelsea's favorite series and authors are Nancy Rue and her Lily Series as well as The Sophie Series, Sandra Byrd's books Island Girl and Chopsticks.

I found another series at our Library Book Store.
It is called Tales from Grace Chapel Inn.
Guideposts is listed as the Publisher. There are different authors but they are all of a similar genre. Chelsea really enjoyed these. Two Titles that are in front of me now are...The Way we Were by Judy Baer and Steady and Slow by Anne Marie Rodgers.


Most recently after our Book Club read a Sisterchicks book, Chelsea has been interested in these books. She is enjoying them very much. The first one we read was Sisterchicks in Somberos by Robin Jones Gunn. I don't remember how many more of these she has read, but CBD had some of these as audiobooks in their clearance section so we have just added to our collection but as audiobooks.

Both Chelsea and Jonathan listen to books on tape as they fall asleep. It is just another way to get literature into their lives. We started this with each of them for different reasons but it has become a fun challenge to keep them supplied with fun literature to listen to.

In another post I will talk about Jonathan's preferences. They are quite different but for a student who struggles so to read, because of physical challenges, he surely does love books! He often asks to go to the Library.

A literature rich home is a blessing.

We are very blessed.

Are You?
I would love to hear what
books you enjoy....
for any age!
We have a housefull of readers...
in all shapes and sizes.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Thank you for those ideas! I am trying to get up a list of books for my daughters to read! I'd like them to read some classics but I really don't know which ones to pick. I know that the library has a list of books that they suggest but I don't know if I WANT them to read them! I realize that I can't shelter them TOO much but I don't want to be feeding them junk and nasty thoughts unnecessarily! They get enough of that just living in the world, don't they?
I bought a book called "The Spririt of Loveliness" at a second hand store and it is written by Emilie Barnes. I am going to read it again and have it on my nightstand. I always love the Beverly Lewis books...I am always excited when a new one comes out!
Do you have any ideas of classic books for 7th graders and 10th graders? Thanks!! Beth

Becky K. said...

Hi Beth,
Let me think on that a little bit. I need to get food made for our Fellowship Meal today and want to give this my whole attention. Maybe Mrs. Rabe has some thoughts. I know her girls are very much Jane Austen fans.
We'll get back to you here with some ideas.

Becky K.