Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Learning Doesn't Stop

The great thing about learning is that it is a 24/7 kind of gift.
While we can put the books down and stop recording every
little thing we do for "school" we can have the most fun and 
find the most interesting of things all around us.

Our chickens are a hoot.
We have learned valuable lessons about diligence,
motherhood and protectiveness as we have a new
chick.  We have observed the little one learn to drink
by carefully watching the hens and then mimicking their 
actions.  Such bright little eyes and a happy dance after
the very first drink.  Mikey wondered if the water acted
like an energy drink to the chick. It was very funny.

It makes me aware that always the kids' eyes are watching
and learning from my actions and attitudes.  This week
I found out that when we had last been at Sight and Sound
Theatre to see the drama about Joseph,
one of our sons had spent a lot of time watching me for my 
reactions because I had told him that there were many parts
that made me cry.  He was curious as to which ones.
Good grief!  
Now we have to take him back so he can 
actually watch the show.  It is just an example...but one I 
know to be so very true.  They are designed to watch and 
learn...just like the little chick.

What are your children observing in you?

You are teaching them just as much, if not more
from your life than you do from all of that nifty
curriculum you hope to re-sell someday.

Well, two other little eyes are watching me
at the moment.
Little Bandit needs to go outside...
desperately she thinks!
So, since I have learned from her past 
actions...I'll be taking care of that right now!

Happy Learning!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I just stumbled across your blog because of a comment you left at Bella's Rose Cottage. I am a homeschooling Mom as well. My son is 17 now and will graduate in a year and a half (there abouts). We have used so many different curriculums and have had our share of struggles and successes. I am happy I found your blog. I have become friends with a few other homeschoolers around us, and that has been nice. Every single one of us do it differently. I look forward to reading what you and your family are up to as well. Maybe I should start a homeschooling blog as well. Even though we're coming in to the tale end of our adventure.

Hope you have a beautiful and wonderful day,
Susan
http://simplepleasuressimpletreasures.blogspot.com/

http://clucklebees.blogspot.com/